+ Bodybuilding Forum - IronJunkies.com » Training & Nutrition  » FAQ
 One side of my body is stronger or bigger than the other?

Username: keep logged in
Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Topic: One side of my body is stronger or bigger than the other?  (Read 4813 times) Thread tools
« on: October 04, 2010, 11:44:07 AM »
smoundzou
Iron Junky
Administrator

smoundzou
View Profile Email
One side of my body is stronger or bigger than the other?

This is going to be a FAQ thread.  Each week I'm going to post a question within this thread and do my best to answer it correctly.  Please feel free to jump in with any corrections or alternative answers you feel might help.

so with that said..

QUESTIONS

One side of my body is stronger than the other.. Example. My right arm is stronger than my left.  How do I correct this?

ANSWER

1:Try to use DB's instead of a bar when doing exercises.. Example: when doing curls, use DB's instead of a bar.

2: When working with DB's, never work the stronger side with more weight than the weaker side.  This will only exaggerate the imbalance and make it worse.

3: Some people say always train the weaker side first.  The reason being is, if you work the stronger side first, you'll be losing energy and not be able to give a full 100% to your weaker side.  I"m not sure if this really matters than much but I thought I would go ahead and throw it in.

4: Finally, give your imbalance time to even up.  Don't expect your body to be 100% even on all lifts, it probably never will be.  
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 05:56:27 PM by smoundzou » Logged

Never strike a man in anger unless you're absolutely sure you can kick his ass!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 01:14:01 PM »
Yet
Super Moderator
Iron Junkie

View Profile
Re: Frequently Asked Weight Training Questions.

How do you feel about isolating one part of your body to catch up a lagging part?  For example, my left lat is about half an inch smaller than my right.  I thought about incorporating a set or two of bent over DB rows to fix it.
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 01:23:17 PM »
smoundzou
Iron Junky
Administrator

smoundzou
View Profile Email

I'm guessing you are meaning.. adding extra isolation?

I don't know if you remember or not but I had some nerve damage in my left Tricep which at it's worse had 50% less strength than my right.. It's taken years of isolating it to get it to around 90-95% the strength of my right one.. It will probably never be 100%.. so yea.. Doing isolations on a muscle that's lagging in size and strength is good..

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 02:32:34 PM »
Yet
Super Moderator
Iron Junkie

View Profile

I'm guessing you are meaning.. adding extra isolation?

I don't know if you remember or not but I had some nerve damage in my left Tricep which at it's worse had 50% less strength than my right.. It's taken years of isolating it to get it to around 90-95% the strength of my right one.. It will probably never be 100%.. so yea.. Doing isolations on a muscle that's lagging in size and strength is good..

I don't know if I mean extra isolation.  My back is one of my strongest parts, my left lat just lags behind about half an inch.  And I didn't know that about your tricep.  My hand is fully recovered (I think) so I'll be able to hit the gym for the first time in a while tonight, I'll throw in some extra isolation!
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 03:25:08 PM »
Vicarious
IJ VIP
Iron Junkie

View Profile

But you would never want to overtrain one side over the other, except perhaps for sports utility.  I'm guessing a right-handed pitcher trains each arm differently, but I could be wrong.  My right shoulder is stronger than my left.  That doesn't mean I should train w/a heavier DB on the right, even though I'm capable of that.  But that will just make the imbalance even more pronounced.  And w/many machines, bodyweight exercises, and even the barbell to an extent, the body will take on more of the resistance on the dominant side and continue to aggravate the imbalance.  Do I have that right, guys?
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 05:10:26 PM »
smoundzou
Iron Junky
Administrator

smoundzou
View Profile Email

But you would never want to overtrain one side over the other, except perhaps for sports utility.  I'm guessing a right-handed pitcher trains each arm differently, but I could be wrong.  My right shoulder is stronger than my left.  That doesn't mean I should train w/a heavier DB on the right, even though I'm capable of that.  But that will just make the imbalance even more pronounced.  And w/many machines, bodyweight exercises, and even the barbell to an extent, the body will take on more of the resistance on the dominant side and continue to aggravate the imbalance.  Do I have that right, guys?

Yes.. thats why it's best to use DB's on any and all exercises if possible.. My tricep was an exception to the rule due to nerve damage and not a natural imbalance so I did include many extra sets and different exercises to help regain the nerve connection that was lost... And so far it's worked good for me, only problem being is it took way longer than I ever thought  it would.. but again, it was extreme.

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 11:09:39 PM »
Yet
Super Moderator
Iron Junkie

View Profile

How did you damage your tricep if you don't mind me asking?
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 04:45:43 PM »
smoundzou
Iron Junky
Administrator

smoundzou
View Profile Email

How did you damage your tricep if you don't mind me asking?
The originated from doing upright rows.  but to make a long story short I think it's called the brachial Plexus nerve that runs form the shoulder down the arm into the long head the tricep was damaged.. the top of the long head the finishes off the upper portion of the horse shoe didn't want to grow and it it took years of isolating it as best i could to get the nerve to somewhat reconnect.  it's still smaller but only i can tell..

that's the short version..

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 05:52:35 PM »
Yet
Super Moderator
Iron Junkie

View Profile

Don't worry pal, I'm willing to look past your abnormal tricep and still be friends with you.
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 05:57:30 PM »
smoundzou
Iron Junky
Administrator

smoundzou
View Profile Email

Don't worry pal, I'm willing to look past your abnormal tricep and still be friends with you.
Youdaman... yet

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 01:42:35 AM »
Wetdawg
IJ VIP
Iron Junkie

View Profile
Re: One side of my body is stronger or bigger than the other?

I have seen a guy in the gym with 35 lbs in one arm and 20 in another, curling away. I want to say something, but stupid is as stupid does.Probably would not listen anyways, If you look at everyone else and your doing something totally of the wall, get some info by God!
I use the heaviest that my weakest muscle can move.

$5 off coupon code TIF539 at iHerb.com
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 12:32:24 PM »
smoundzou
Iron Junky
Administrator

smoundzou
View Profile Email

I've seen the same thing WD... and have had to bite my lip to keep from saying something..

what kills me even more is these guys on the bench press.. way too much weight.. one side goes 3/4 the way and the other only half.. then they almost have a brain hemorrhage trying to push it back up..

Just drop the weight....

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 07:46:15 AM »
Wetdawg
IJ VIP
Iron Junkie

View Profile

One of the guys I workout with does too much weight and sacrifices his form. I tell him constantly to drop the weight and get it correct in movements. He always comes up with some reason as to why he goes this far or that. After 3 years of building with him, he is getting upset watching me pull more that he. He is a small tank and 4 months older than me. It's funny to watch my "heavy Pusher" Fall behind due to form.

$5 off coupon code TIF539 at iHerb.com
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2010, 06:38:37 PM »
gaijinsmash

Sometimes I wonder if I suffer some pretty nasty imbalances cos my muscles are so asymmetrical.  I think mostly they just grow that way.  Like my serratus anterior.  On the left side, it looks like one of the ridges is missing, but the bottom one is larger than it should be, so I guess strength-wise it probably would even out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to:  

Archive