- The 7 Best Whey Protein Powders Of 2018
- #1 Battle Ready Fuel – (Best For People Who Do Intense Workouts)
- # 2 Dymatize ISO 100 Whey Protein Powder (Best Tasting Whey Protein Powder)
- #3 Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey Powder (Best Overall Whey Protein Powder)
- #4 Bodybuilding.com Signature 100% Whey Protein Powder (Best For Recovery And Building Muscle)
- #5 Less Naked Whey – (Best ‘Nothing Added’ Whey Protein Powder)
- #6 MuscleTech Premium Gold – (Best Value + Great For Building Muscle)
- #7 XPI Myotein Protein Powder – (Best Whey Protein Blend)
- What’s The Best Whey Protein Powder For You?
If you want to build muscle, protein is king.
Imagine you’re back to your childhood where you’re playing with Lego.
Say you want to build a castle, a big one.
Because you can.
To do that, you’re going to need a lot of pieces.
It’s impossible if you don’t have enough.
That’s precisely how your body works.
You could lift a mountain, and your body still won’t see the rewards without proper nutrition.
Protein is what your body needs to get the most out of each workout.
But getting the right amount of protein isn’t simple.
If it were, everyone would be fit.
That begs the question, how much protein do you need?
Well to get the bare minimum, you need 0.8 grams of protein per kg of weight.
That’s 56 grams for the average man and 46 grams for the average woman.
That sounds doable, but if you want to build muscle, it’s not even close.
You’ll need more than double to get optimal muscle growth.
Now here’s the dilemma: it’s hard to get that without upping your calories like crazy.
There are very few foods out there that are a lean source of protein.
I’ll list a few for you:
- Chicken Breast
- Plain Greek Yogurt
It’s difficult always to prepare healthy meals at home.
And if you go out to eat, it’s near to impossible.
Chances are you’re severely starving your body of protein and muscle gain.
There has to be a better way to get your body the protein it needs.
And there is. The answer to your problems is whey protein.
Whey is a by-product of the cheese making process.
It’s a complete protein containing all nine essential amino acids.
It’s a convenient and effective way to meet your body’s protein needs.
But when it comes to whey protein powder, there’s too much choice.
Ever been to a restaurant and the waiter hands you a menu with 100 items?
What do you do? You ask him for the specials.
Well in this article I’m about to deliver the specials right to you.
We’re going to talk about and explore the seven best protein powders to help you maximize your gains.
We’ve tested a lot, and I mean A LOT of protein powders.
But nothing comes close to our 7 top picks.
They’re worth every penny and more.
Let’s dive right into it.
- #1 Battle Ready Fuel
- #2 Dymatize ISO 100
- #3 Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard
- #4 Bodybuilding.com Signature 100%
- #5 Less Naked Whey
- #6 MuscleTech Premium Gold
- #7 XPI Myotein Protein Powder
The 7 Best Whey Protein Powders Of 2018
Here’s our list:
#1 Battle Ready Fuel – (Best For People Who Do Intense Workouts)
You’re here for one reason and one reason only, to get fantastic protein.
If you’re looking to get lean, pay close attention.
This could be your golden ticket.
A standard serving measures every protein powder on this list.
We call these ‘scoops.’
Scoops can range from 30g to 34g respectively.
Battle Ready Fuel Whey Protein comes at the top of this list at 28g of protein per 30g serving.
Every serving is around 106.8 calories.
In each scoop, you have only 1.06g carbs, 0.87g sugar, and 0.75g fat.
This means every single scoop is 93% protein.
Here are a few other perks you’re getting with every scoop:
- Packed Full Of Good BCAA’s: During exercise, your body does not use protein as a source of fuel. Your body uses carbohydrates and fat. But if you’re on a lean diet, chances are you’re low on carbs and fat. If your body doesn’t have an adequate energy source to burn, it starts to burn muscle. This is called muscle catabolism. You don’t want that. BCAA’s provide a buffer against this breakdown and help you retain every pound of your gains.
- Little to no lactose sugar: Most protein powders have a lot of sugar. While that’s not a big deal when you’re bulking up, you need to avoid this when you’re cutting. Battle Ready Fuel is refined to have all traces of lactose sugar removed to give you a true lean source of protein. The proof is in the pudding; there’s only 0.87g of sugar in each 30g serving.
- Comes in a great flavor: If you’re committed to working out, you have to drink protein powder seven days a week.Drinking something every day is rough when you hate the taste. You want to look forward to drinking your protein shake, not actively avoid it. That’s why Battle Ready Fuel Protein’s Triple Chocolate flavor is so delicious. You won’t get enough of it.
With every protein powder, we’re going to give you in-depth details on how much you’re spending with every scoop you take.
Battle Ready Fuel’s whey protein, to our pleasant surprise, is very affordable.
You get 900g for $44.99. That’s 30 scoops of 30g each.
It’s only $1.50 per scoop.
Verdict: If you workout intensely and want to build muscle or look your best then get the Battle Ready Fuel whey protein powder. Each scoop is packed with protein and bcaas and the triple chocolate flavor is delicious.
Get your supply of Battle Ready Fuel whey protein here because it’s loaded with protein and bcaas and is the best whey protein powders for anyone who does intense workouts on the regular.
Whether you do crossfit, p90x or lift weights like a beast this is the protein powder for you!
# 2 Dymatize ISO 100 Whey Protein Powder (Best Tasting Whey Protein Powder)
You want the best whey protein.
ISO 100 may just be that!
With 25g of protein per scoop ISO 100 easily secures our #2 spot.
The nutrition is similar to Battle Ready Fuel, with less than 1g of sugar and fat per serving.
If you’re someone who’s gluten and lactose-free, this is the whey protein powder for you.
You also get all the goodies of the BCAA above’s.
There’s also fantastic celebrity backing for ISO 100.
Both Jojo Gonzalez (Olympia Men’s Physique competitor) and Brooke Erikson (IFBB Figure Pro) stand firmly behind the product.
The flavors ISO 100 has are out of this world including:
- Birthday Cake
- Chocolate Coconut
- and Gourmet Chocolate.
Nothing is boring about this protein powder.
The only reason ISO 100 is 2nd on our list is protein content.
It also contains less than 1 gram of sugar!
Here’s what you have available for pricing.
- 1.6 lbs for $29.67. That’s 725 grams meaning 22 and a half scoops of 32g each. Your total comes to around $1.31 per scoop.
- 5 lbs for $67. That’s 2267 grams meaning 71 scoops of 32g each. Your total comes to $0.94 per scoop.
Understandably cheaper than Battle Ready Fuel, but factor in that you’re losing 3g of protein per scoop.
The Iso 100 whey protein powder doesn’t just taste great, it’s also a fantastic supplement that will help with any fitness goal you have.
It is easily available on Amazon here and is one of the best protein powders for people who workout regularly and it tastes gooood.
#3 Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey Powder (Best Overall Whey Protein Powder)
When it comes to protein powder and other supplements, Optimum Nutrition has a name for providing quality products.
And Gold Standard Whey is no different.
You get 24g of protein per scoop with 5.5g of natural BCAA’s.
Here’s the deal: if you’re looking for your protein shake to be exciting, then you’re in the right place.
Gold Standard Whey has over 20 flavors.
Here are a few that might get your mouth watering:
- Rocky Road
- White Chocolate
- Chocolate Peanutbutter
- French Vanilla
- Strawberry Banana
That’s just the tip of the iceberg; there’s a lot more to choose.
For nutrition, it’s not optimal compared to the brands above.
There’s 3g of carbs per serving and 1g of sugar accompanied with 30mg of cholesterol.
Here’s what Gold Standard Whey is going to cost you:
- 5 Lbs for $57.94. That’s 2267 grams meaning 75 and a half scoop of 30g each. That’s $0.78 per scoop.
- 1 Lb for $15.03. That’s 453 grams meaning 15 scoops of 30g each. That’s roughly $1 per scoop.
Gold Standard whey is one of the best overall whey protein powders that will help with whatever you’re trying to accomplish whether it’s building muscle or losing a few lbs.
It doesn’t taste bad either!
Get your supply of Gold Standard whey protein on Amazon here because this is one of the best overall whey protein powders money can buy!
#4 Bodybuilding.com Signature 100% Whey Protein Powder (Best For Recovery And Building Muscle)
Bodybuilding.com over the years has established itself as an authority on fitness.
So how good is their signature protein powder?
The verdict is in, and it’s excellent.
The protein you get with every scoop is impressive.
You’re getting 25g of protein per scoop with 3g of carbs and 2g of sugar.
Not as outstanding as the protein powders before, but not too shabby.
You also get all the good stuff, including BCAA’s and a host of flavors.
Here are a few to name:
- Mocha Cappucino
Here’s what Bodybuilding.com’s signature blend will cost you:
- You can get 2 Lbs for $29.99. That’s 907g, coming in at about 26 and a half scoops of 34g each. Every scoop costs you $1.13.
- You can get 5 Lbs for $55.99. That’s 2267 grams meaning 66 and a half scoop of 34g each. That’s $0.84 per scoop.
With the BCAAs for enrgy and recovery, a solid dose of protein and a little sugar for that extra push we think BodyBuilding.com’s Signature whey is an excellent pick if you lift weights and want to build muscle.
It tastes good too!
You can get it on BodyBuilding.com or get it on Amazon here because this is a great whey protein powder for recovery and building muscle.
#5 Less Naked Whey – (Best ‘Nothing Added’ Whey Protein Powder)
If you’re someone who cares about grass-fed and organic foods, then Less Naked Whey is for you.
You get 100% grass fed pure whey protein, organic coconut sugar, and organic chocolate.
There’s no artificial flavoring and sugar here.
Everything is GMO-Free, soy free and gluten free.
If you’re very health conscious or find that other whey protein supplements don’t agree with you then this protein powder is designed for you.
Every 30g scoop boasts 25g of protein!
Given this, why isn’t it higher on our list?
Because of price and nutrition.
This is a guide about protein powder that gives you the most bang for your buck.
And the fact is, not everyone cares about all the other perks of Less Naked Whey.
Every scoop has 5g of sugar and 8g of carbs, coming in around 160 calories.
Not the best for nutrition (that’s quite a lot of sugar for a whey protein powder) but still decent.
You do get 6g of BCAA’s per serving, which is great!
The health-conscious benefits and high protein are enough to net this powder our 5th spot.
Flavors are where Naked Whey falls a bit short, only having Chocolate and Unflavoured.
This product won’t suit a low carber or keto diet plan either.
This is where things get tricky because this stuff is expensive.
- You can get 1 Lb for $21.99. That’s 453 grams meaning 15 scoops of 30g each, coming to $1.40 per scoop.
- You can get 5 Lbs for $89.99. That’s 2267 grams meaning 75 and a half scoop of 30g each. That’s $1.19 per scoop.
So yeah, this one is expensive and contains a little too much sugar (but that might be a good thing for you) so we would only recommend it if you are super sensitive to the fillers or added ingredients in other products.
You can get yours on Amazon here because this is the best whey protein powder with no added fillers!
#6 MuscleTech Premium Gold – (Best Value + Great For Building Muscle)
MuscleTech Premium Gold gets a lot right. You have your standard 24g of protein and BCAA’s in each scoop.
You have the choice of a strong Double Rich Chocolate flavor.
The nutrition isn’t the leanest with 4g of carb, 2g of fat, 2g of sugar and 60mg of cholesterol.
If you want a standard protein powder at a decent price, MuscleTech is your choice.
We do like that it contains the extremely fast absorbing whey peptides so the protein is delivered to your muscles almost immedietely.
Plus that extra little bit of sugar in there will help to refuel your muscle post workout and increase protein synthesis.
You can get 2.2 pounds for $20.21. That’s 997g, providing 29 scoops of 34g each. Each scoop costs $0.69.
The price is great at only $0.69/scoop.
Get yours on Amazon here because this fast acting protein is excellent for anyone who wants to build muscle and provides great value.
#7 XPI Myotein Protein Powder – (Best Whey Protein Blend)
Myotein is unique because it boasts a blend of 6 different types of protein.
Here’s what’s in every scoop:
- Whey Protein Isolate
- Whey protein concentrate
- Micellar Casein
- and Whey Protein Hydrolysate.
The blend of proteins makes it unlike any other protein powder on the market.
What’s the benefit of a blend of proteins?
Well, they will all be delivered to your muscles at different rates.
Some fast and some slow which means you get the benefits of both.
That’s all well and good, but how’s the nutrition?
You get 24g of protein per serving with a 2g of sugar and 1g of fat.
On the flavor side, you’re not getting left behind with Creamy Chocolate and Mocha Latte.
But on the downside, there’s no BCAA to help protect your muscles.
You can get 5 lbs of Myotein for $59.95. That’s 2268g, providing 65 and a half scoops of 34.54g each.
Each scoop will cost you $0.91.
Get yours on Amazon here because this supplement will give you the benefits of fast acting protein and slow digesting protein so your muscles are constantly being supplied with the protein they need for repair and growth!
What’s The Best Whey Protein Powder For You?
At the end of the day, here’s what you want out of your ideal protein powder:
- Is it giving my body what I need?
- Is it convenient for my life?
- Is it affordable?
- Do I like the taste?
The protein powder that works best for you could be different from someone else.
What we wanted to give you here are raw and real facts.
Hopefully, by the end of this article, you have enough information to make an educated decision.
As it stands now the Battle Ready Fuel Whey Protein provides the optimal amount of protein per scoop.
Summary Of The Best Whey Protein Powders:
- Battle Ready Fuel: (Best if you workout regularly with some intensity) $1.50/scoop available here.
- Iso 100: (Best Tasting and great overall) $1.31/scoop available here.
- Gold Standard Whey: (Best overall to match any fitness goal) $1.00/scoop available here.
- BodyBuilding.com Signature Whey: (Best for recovery and building muscle) $1.13/scoop available here.
- Naked Whey: (Best ‘nothing added’ whey for the health conscious) $1.40/scoop available here.
- MuscleTech Premium Gold: (Best value + great for building muscle) $0.69/scoop available here.
- Myotein Whey Complex: (Best protein blend for fast and slow digesting protein) $0.91/scoop available here.
When you’re working out, you need every bit of help you can get.
Every small edge counts.
You go to the gym day in and day to see results.
Gains don’t happen overnight it takes hard work and dedication but you also need to give your body the fuel it needs to repair and grow.
That’s why you need a great whey protein powder to help your reach your fitness goals.
Whether you’re trying to build muscle, burn fat or get lean and ripped the best whey protein powders listed above will help you get there!