USP Labs Modern BCAA+ is a powder-based sports recovery supplement that includes more ingredients than your average branched-chain amino acid product.
Aside from having an 8:1:1 ratio of leucine, isoleucine, and valine, Modern BCAA+ also contains several other amino acids and an electrolyte blend that have an important role in recovery and performance.
USP Labs claims that it has “THE best BCAA product on the market today,” and at 15 grams per serving, it can be easy to agree at first.
But as I’ll discuss below, that 15-gram serving is a proprietary blend, which means the actual amount of each ingredient is not disclosed to you.
With the issue of the proprietary blend cast aside, USP Labs is said to be for those who put themselves through intense training as it facilitates a better and faster recovery.
Naturally, this applies to all fitness goals, making BCAA+ a potential aid for everyone.
You can find Modern BCAA+ on the direct website at $29.99 for 30 servings.
Strangely, you’re not able to find this BCAA supplement on any other major US-based websites, but you will find it on European-based sites such as Amazon.uk.
Given the cost of shipping from the UK to the US, it’s easiest to purchase this directly from the manufacturer.
In this review, we’ll look at:
Ingredients Of Modern BCAA +
USP Labs Modern BCAA+ distinguishes itself with a comprehensive amino acid blend, but are the extra ingredients really worth it?
Let’s review the Modern BCAA+ formula to find out.
- 8:1:1 BCAA+ Blend: The standard ratio of leucine, isoleucine, and valine is 2:1:1, but a BCAA dosage ratio at 8:1:1 provides you with the most muscle-building benefit. Leucine benefits protein synthesis, growth hormone regulation, and recovery; however, since this is a proprietary blend, you don’t know how much of each BCAA you’re getting. A ratio of 8:1:1 sounds great but if each serving only supplies 500 mg of leucine and 250 mg of isoleucine and valine, then it’s not worth much. (1)
- L-Alanine: Not to be confused with Beta-Alanine, another amino acid that is found in many pre-workout supplements, L-alanine is important for the breakdown of glucose and providing fuel for the body. (2)
- Taurine: Found in many energy drinks such as Redbull, taurine is an amino acid that has been shown to be a valuable way to fuel your workouts. Studies show that taurine might be useful for improving performance and reducing muscular fatigue. (3)
- Glycine: Another amino acid, glycine is a building block for different enzymes throughout the body. Studies show that glycine can help to prevent muscle breakdown during intense workout sessions. (4)
- L-Lysine HCl: An essential amino acid, lysine helps to support your body’s immune response. It’s also been shown in studies to improve the body’s ability to utilize glucose for fuel, making it an ideal intra-workout ingredient. (5)
- L-Alanyl-L-Glutamine: This super-charged version of the amino acid, L-glutamine has been shown to be an ideal intra-workout supplement. Studies show that supplementing with L-alanyl-L-glutamine significantly increase exercise endurance and total time to fatigue. In other words, it helps you work out longer. (6)
- Electrolyte Blend: Electrolytes are necessary for healthy muscle contractions. You lose most of your electrolytes through sweat. That mid-workout crash you feel can be the result of low electrolyte levels. Supplementing with electrolytes pre- and intra-workout has been shown to improve overall performance. (7)
- Artificial and Natural Options: Most of the Modern BCAA+ flavors are artificially sweetened, but for those who want to limit their exposure to artificial ingredients, you can find a naturally-sweetened version with Stevia and monk’s fruit.
Modern BCAA + Reviews
While there are not many reviews of Modern BCAA+ from US-based websites, the ones that are out there seem to be consistent.
Most reviewers cite faster recovery especially reduced muscle soreness and better performance as the two primary benefits of using Modern BCAA+.
Negative reviews of Modern BCAA+ are not as consistent.
Where some reviewers complain about a flavor such as Blue Raspberry, another reviewer raves about it.
Given the ten available flavor options, you’re bound to find one you like.
Mixability might be an issue depending on the humidity of where you live, but as most reviewers do, you can simply mix it in a proper blender.
Bottom Line On USP Labs Modern BCAA +
USP Labs Modern BCAA+ seems to be a step above most branched-chain amino acid supplements as it contains a higher ratio of leucine as well as several other important nutrients.
The problem lies in its use of a proprietary blend, which conceals exactly how much of each ingredient you’re getting with every serving.
Having an 8:1:1 ratio of BCAAs sounds great but if they are under-dosed then you’re better off eating leucine foods.
With that said, given that each serving has 15 grams of amino acids and electrolytes, there’s a good chance that USP Labs has taken the time to provide a scientifically-validated dose of leucine, isoleucine, and valine.
But not much can be said for the other amino acids.
Given its low price, variety of flavors, and consistent reviews, Modern BCAA+ could be a great choice for your performance and recovery needs, especially if you find it on sale.